What is Transit Oriented Development?
TOD is a method of urban planning that has been devised by some cities to maximize the efficiency of a city and to make sure that a resident can move around the city quite easily from their residence. This includes making of frequent bus stops or trains stops and increasing the connection of public transport. In TOD applied place it is easier to walk from one place to another, and the block sizes are smaller than other cities. The development planning can include anything from revitalizing a city to the renewal of the suburban places. The mobility makes it easier for people to get rid of their car which is good for the environment too. Some of the cities that have been designed using TOD are Paris, Montreal, Toronto, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, and Hong Kong.
Benefits of Transit Oriented Development:
- It allows the residents to be settled in one area in which they may find parks and lanes and offices may also be near to their house.
- The good connection in roads reduces the growing dependency on cars. People will be encouraged to walk as everything will be in their near proximity.
- The pollution also decreases due to the reduction in a number of cars.
- When hospitals, supermarkets, and other amenities are near a person, they are more likely to feel better about the life services.
- As the place will become compact, every block’s economic value will increase due to them working more.
- TOD makes it easier for a connection between urban and suburban areas and brings them closer to each other
- The city gets a new life plan, and also new features of recreation and entertainment can be added for the citizens
Some features of Transit Oriented Development:
- Priority is given to pedestrians
- Train station is often in close proximity
- Public transport like buses and trams play a huge role
- Citizens are encouraged to use bicycles for daily commute
- Everything of daily use is kept in close proximity
Cities throughout the world are attaching themselves to Transit Oriented Development as they are learning about its usefulness. Cities are being encouraged to make themselves environmentally safe and make it the best quality living place for the urban lifestyle. In the coming years, the world will experience more places developed using TOD.